September 5, 2007

One year completed

It's been exactly a year since I set foot in the US. I still remember all the details of my journey. I was completely tired with change of flights, countries, and time. The Mumbai-Paris flight was quite peaceful. After enjoying a hearty meal, I had fallen into a deep sleep and later watched Malamaal Weekly for dearth of anything else. I again fell asleep at the Paris airport, where I was surrounded by a group of Indians.

The Paris-Atlanta flight was a different story. Never in my life have I been so bored. There was some problem in the entertainment system which meant no TV, music, flight information was displayed in the entire 9 hour flight. I didn't read anything for fear of getting headache. I had an aisle seat in front of the toilet, which meant that everytime anyone went to answer nature's call, they would collide with my arm. Beside me were seated two ladies who did not speak/understand English, and I had no idea what language they were speaking. I did nothing else but stare here and there for the entire journey. Just when I was bored enought to jump out of the flight, the pilot announced that we had 5 hrs before landing. Urggggggggggghhhhhhhhh..I wanted to scream in frustration.

Finally, we landed at Atlanta and after the Immigration and other formalities, I went and sat at the gate. I had 5 hrs to kill. My husband had told me to explore the airport, but I sat at the gate as I didn't want to be lost anywhere. I remember watching the news of Steve Irwin's death on the TV. I slept again. The Atlanta-Louisville flight was short and sweet. I was smiling to myself at the prospect of meeting my husband after 40 long days.

This past year has been pretty good. I have learnt and seen so much after coming here. I was feel like writing more about my experiences and life in the US. Somehow, never find the motivation to write. Hopefully, after this one year completion article, I will write more about life in the US. Over and out!

5 comments:

Mansi said...

HI Swapna...congrats on the new blog!

Even I still remember my first flight to US, even though its been 5 years now!!! some memories never leave u, right?!

Swapna said...

Mansi,
It's the other way round actually. This was my first blog. I started posting recipes here and then thot of creating a food blog.
True, some memories last forever:)

shiju said...

ur language is so good and simple to understand like me those who are not so good in english.

visit my blog crickinfo4u.blohspot.com


and give ur valuable advices.

Nishi said...

A very good and honest blog I must say.I myself am interested in writing and noting down the memorable incidents,have been doing it in a diary since childhood though but never thought about a blog,ur blog gave me the idea so would love it if u visit my blog, comments are welcome :)
http://www.home-allalone.blogspot.com

Sourabh said...

nice blog