May 8, 2008

Birthday wishes from the Cabadi clan

Guess what my office buddies gifted me on my birthday?



But before that a little bit about the birthday tradition in our office. There are two gifts one gets on his/her birthday. One is a serious gift and one is a prank gift. We always ask what the person needs as a serious gift so that we can gift her something that she needs or has been planning to buy since a long time.


Even before my friends asked me what I wanted, I told them I wanted a cookbook as a gift. I love receiving gifts and find it very difficult to control my urge to tear open the gift paper. I was on leave for the entire week before my birthday; my friends got ample time to plan and execute a prank gift.


They all know my total hatred for cabbage. I never touch it. I hate its smell and sight. I sometimes order lunch from a nearby lunch home and whenever they give cabbage, I whine and cry and hardly eat it. So it was not very difficult for them to think about a prank gift. However, I had no idea how creative they could get with a dry thing like cabbage.


My friend S took great pains to decorate a real cabbage with red chillies. She also made a paper cap for my Cabby man. Another friend P wrote a whole recipe book complete with cabbage recipes. The whole team all put together another document that listed all the things I could do as part of the cabbage therapy. This included covering my eyes with cabbage leaves, wearing the leaves as a cap, and a chant that went on:
Cabba cabba abba, abba abba cabba, aowa aowa
The whole document was very, very funny and innovative.


On my birthday, the whole team, or should I say the Cabadi clan, gathered near my workplace and handed me the cabby man and the documents. I was thrilled with their creativity. Thanks a lot for making my birthday so special. I have kept the Cabby man on my desk and told my friends that he will stay there till he stinks and they all start hating cabbage:). Here's a picture of the Cabby man who sits on my desk:



Isn't he cute?:)

4 comments:

yamini said...

Hey dear, I am happy to know that u liked the gift and also the prank we did on ur b'day. Thats like a sport !!!!! :)

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you like cabby and all the recipes we gifted you. Must say a lot of work did go into it. But it was fun hunting for a small cabbage n red chillies in my fridge at 1'O clock in the night and sitting to decide on the best look..reminded me of those art and craft sessions at school.
Please put that recipe book to good use..n gain some kilo's..u got to start eating for two now..i hope our hogging rubs off on u too..
cheers!
Sandy :)

Namita said...

hey swaps wish u a belated happy Birthday !!!!!

BTW, cabby man looks real cute :) hope u hv started liking cabbage by now!!!!

Francis P Barclay said...

finally.. u started loving cabbage, huh?
very funny n nice post...