September 25, 2011

10 day challenge: two songs

Songs. Music. Lyrics. Wonderful companions during a long drive; cooking for friends and family; late night studies; picnics and parties; putting your baby to sleep.
I am a big fan of old Hindi songs, and an even bigger fan of all of Lata’s classics. I like a lot of new songs as well; but they don’t seem to stick around. Somehow, it’s always oldies which come to mind when playing antakshari. I haven’t heard a lot of English songs. When I was an engineering student, I would stay up late to study for exams. I would tune to the radio and listen to English songs for company. Two songs that would always play and I over the years, I have fallen in love with those. One was “Hotel California”. This always makes me imagine myself strumming a guitar. The other is Celine Dion’s “A New Day has Come”.
This post was an easy one for me; not because I don’t listen to a lot of music, but because I knew which songs I would choose as my favorite two:
Every couple should have a special song for themselves and ours is: Rimzim Gire Sawan  


We both know the entire lyrics of this song and have troubled a lot of friends by singing the entire song: he in his lovely voice, me in my croaking voice.

The second song is one that I heard only recently and completely fell in love with: Saibo from Shor in the City.
The music is very refreshing and this is my type of song with its high and low alterations. Shreya Ghoshal is outstanding, and Tochi Raina supports her with his upbeat voice. The lyrics are sensible and wonderful.
Other songs that I have to mention:
  • Third Hindi Favorite: Barse sapne boond boond from Wake Up Sid. This one’s a lose third favorite after Saibo.
  • My ideal Bollywood playlist: As far as Bollywood goes, my playlist would contain all songs from Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam, Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge, Khamoshi, Devdas, Abhimaan, Sathiya, Sapnay, Roja.
  • Marathi: All of Padmaja Fenani’s songs from the album Ghar Nachle Nachle, all songs from the movie Nivdung, majority of Asha’s songs.
  • English: Uptown girl, 500 miles (Benny and Joon).
  • Telegu: How can a Marathi mulgi love a Telegu song?:) Our group discovered Ringa Ringa and are obsessed with it. So much so, that we found that song with subtitles. During a recent trip, where we drove for 10 hours, we must have heard this song atleast 50 times. My little daughter is an ardent fan and tries to rote it.

Listening to good music always uplifts my mood and leaves me feeling fresh.
I might post mid-week about my favorite photo.

1 comment:

Diary-RTOAC said...

Finally someone who's a fan of the oldies as much as me...Rimjhim Gire is very nostalgic to me too..I like Lata's version, and that version's picturisation too..And I've lost touch with today's songs too, they just don't hold-on like you said..Saibo too, I'll have to hear it more I guess...In Telugu there's one I like (and I should've listed this in my post), Andanga Lena, and my wife can list you a lot more, but I guess you are a fan more for the beats (after listening to Ringa Ringa) :-)